Monday, June 1, 2009

Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate OR Bubble Bath


Conversations with the benchmate about a chemical called SDS (sodium dodecyl sulfate) we use for various purposes in the lab:


D: Hey, I just realized that SDS is actually a component of toothpaste, shampoo, shaving foams, dissolvable aspirins and especially bubble bath.

BM: Wow, really?

D: Yeah, I was making some 10% SDS for in situ buffers and the SDS powder looked so much like the bubble bath I have at home. Also, it's driving me crazy because it gets so foamy when I want to mix it in the water.

BM: Duuude, it is so ironic. We handle all that stuff with gloves in the lab and then we go home and eat the same sh*t.


(At least I have a fun benchmatey).





Info about SDS is from Wikipedia
SDS pictures from a Google search :)

1 comment:

  1. Bench-MIGHT! Ha, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete